I like discussing stereotypes for fun. Like, which stereotype one fits into and which one breaks. I know that lots of people generalize everybody on the basis of stereotypical characteristics, but, in my opinion, if you don’t do that, discussing stereotypes could be fun. Today I am going to share with you some fun stereotypes that I fit into and some that I break. Please share whatever comes to your mind after reading these:
- Gender Stereotypes
- The ones that I fit into: I enjoy reading chic-lit novels and enjoy watching chic-flicks and, of course, I love shopping. 😀
- The ones that I don’t fit into: Umm, I don’t know, I can’t think of any right now except that when I dance freely, I dance like a guy (a drunk guy as per most people) and honestly I don’t want to change that ever. 😀
- Caste Stereotypes
- The ones that I fit into: I am a Punjabi and, with all due modesty, I think I am very good at Bhangra. In fact, in my friend’s wedding recently, I actually did a proper Bhangra sequence (which involves a lot of wide-legged movements) in a sari! If anyone has seen proper Bhangras, they would find it hard to imagine someone doing it in a sari. I don’t know if it looked weird but I really, really enjoyed myself a lot. 🙂
- The ones that I don’t fit into: I am a vegetarian (not sure if it’s for forever), I am not much into drinking and, the best one, I am not so much into Rajma Chawal (a cult favorite North-Indian dish that is usually associated with Punjabis).
- Nationality Stereotypes
- The ones that I fit into: Like many fellow Indians, bargaining gives me a kick. 😀 And, yes, I spot things in brands and go like ‘ye toh wahan *insert some market* mei milta hai kaafi similar (oh, we get a similar thing in XYZ local market).
- The ones that I don’t fit into: I can’t think of any right now. I have this feeling that there must be some. I’ll update this if something crosses my mind.
Now it’s your turn. Tell me anything that you can think of regarding stereotypes or anything that you thought of while reading this post. 🙂
Also, if you want to share or ask something for the next ‘Monday Mumbles’, please drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.